The Fellowship Foundation, also known as the International Foundation, is a non-profit organization whose purpose is to encourage one another and people throughout the world to carry out the first and Great Commandment "to love God first" and "to love your neighbor as yourself". This is accomplished by seeking to adhere to the teachings and precepts of Jesus.
The people involved with the Foundation also develop friendships across all of the lines that typically divide people, including race, religion, politics, and socio-economic status. A fundamental pursuit of these friends is to serve people who are poor or disadvantaged. The Bible teaches this in James 1:27 "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
When President Abraham Lincoln was asked why he did not join a church he said, 'When any church will inscribe over its altars, as its sole qualification for membership, the Savior's condensed statement for the substance of both law and gospel, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and thy neighbor as thyself", that church will I join with all my heart and soul.'
Mahatma Gandhi said: "If a single man achieves the highest kind of love, it will be sufficient to neutralize the hate of millions".
Our Purpose is this:
- To develop and maintain an informal association of individuals banded together in the spirit of Jesus, and then go out as "ambassadors of reconciliation", modeling Jesus' principles, based on loving God and loving others.
- To work with the people of many nations, and as their hearts are touched, impact the poor, the oppressed, the widows and the young people of their country in a positive manner.
- To develop young people's groups that meet for friendship and fellowship and who observe the teachings of Jesus Christ, including the power of loving others as you want to be loved.
The Golden Rule:
"Therefore, however you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets". Matthew 7:12
The friends involved in the Foundation place an extremely high value on the sanctity of relationships, and we value what takes place in the hearts of people who are led by God. The priority is to encourage "people to people" relationships around the world. We support and encourage the importance of special gatherings where people can meet together.
The men and women involved believe reconciliation is their calling. Because of that they adhere to these foundational principles:
- The purpose of all life is to "Love the Lord our God with all our heart, with all our soul and with all our mind, and to love our neighbors like ourselves." (Matthew 22:23-40);
- The "work of God" is "to believe in the One He has sent" (John 6:28-29);
God is love and that He cares for everyone. (John 3:16)
- The Kingdom of God as taught by Jesus is: "Seek first God's Kingdom and his righteousness and all these things will be added to you as well." (Matthew 6:33)
- Maintaining relationships is important (Matthew 18:15-16), as is not letting the sun go down on divisions between people. (Ephesians 4:25-27)
We are not to become judgmental. Jesus said the way you judge others is how you will be judged. (Matthew 7:1-5)